About Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund (LELDF)
For nearly two decades, the Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund (LELDF) has protected law enforcement professionals by fighting for their legal rights. Founded in 1995 by attorneys with law enforcement backgrounds, LELDF has led the efforts to identify and support, through financial and legal assistance, duty-related legal expenses such as attorneys’ fees, court filings, litigation costs, legal advice and other legal fees, as well as providing other support for law enforcement professionals and their families.
Since 2000, LELDF has contributed over $2 million to offset legal and other expenses, as well as pro-bono legal advice, to more than two dozen law enforcement professionals and their families. The LELDF is a nationally recognized 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization supported solely through the generous contributions of individuals and organizations. This financial and legal assistance has become increasingly important as our society becomes more litigious and the frequency and cost of defending allegations against law enforcement professionals continues to rise.
Additionally, the LELDF executes its mission by:
- Publicizing the many challenges and dangers faced by our nation’s law enforcement officers in the media, and through our website, social media, direct mail campaigns, educational engagements, and by other means
- Supporting activities of law enforcement professional associations, fraternal organizations, and related groups
- Raising awareness of the risks to the livelihood, health, and safety of our nation’s law enforcement officers and providing support and appropriate recognition for their many sacrifices
- Responding to efforts to undermine the legitimacy of law enforcement officers engaged in the performance of their duties
- Providing recognition to exceptional private citizens who defend and protect law enforcement officers engaged in official actions