Originally published by Albuquerque Journal
Written By Ryan Boetel
It’s been three years since then-Albuquerque police officers Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez made national news after fatally shooting homeless camper James Boyd, and more than two years since they became the first Albuquerque police officers to face charges for a shooting in at least 50 years.
Their cases ended Friday afternoon.
Bernalillo County District Attorney Raúl Torrez announced his office will not retry the officers, who faced a murder trial that ended in a hung jury last year. Torrez said there were a number of mistakes made the day of the shooting, but that laws make it difficult to prosecute police officers for on-duty shootings. At no point during his announcement did he endorse or praise the officers’ actions the day of James Boyd’s death.
Torrez announced the decision during a news conference at his office, which had closed early Friday and was heavily guarded by Bernalillo County Sheriff’s deputies in case there was some form of protest or demonstration. Metropolitan and district courthouses also closed early Friday afternoon in case there was public outcry to the dismissal.
But all was calm in Downtown as the highly charged and dramatic murder case that, in 2014, sparked large protests in the street came to an anticlimactic end.
“There is no reason to believe the case against Detective Sandy and officer Perez could be tried better or more exhaustively at a second trial, or that a second jury could reach a different outcome,” Torrez said.